In the rectangular Cloister three sides have a formal colonnade in a simple Romanesque style.
Benvenuti / Welcome to
(page 3 of 5)
The fourth side, however, is of a later date, constructed between between 1280 and 1300. The latter section is much more ornately decorated, with twisted columns and stone carvings of various intricate motifs. In the centre of the cloister there is a peaceful garden, and to one side is a quadrangular structure, with a small lantern. This was the “Lavatorium”, which originally would have contained a simple trough and fountain where the monks could wash their hands before meals. The structure we can see today dates from approximately the 1600’s.
Website, text, photos
© LM Shapcott 2009 -
All rights Reserved
Except where photos have been rightfully accredited to the photographer / owner